Have you ever felt overwhelmed by a creative dry spell? I know I have. Now the real question is, do you know how to get out of one? For a while, I didn’t think I would ever escape mine.
So here are ten Spare Keys to unlock a Creative Block:
- Make time for personal work, whether it’s revisiting an old piece or starting something new. Make something for yourself.
- Submit a piece (see Key #1) to a contest or an art publication. Make a habit of submitting work at least once a month.
- Try a creative activity outside of your medium. Learn a new instrument, write some poetry, make origami – just do ANYTHING that can supplement your creativity.
- Draw with your non-dominant hand for the rest of the day. Loosen up. If you’re feeling crazy, draw with your non-dominant hand using ONLY pen.
- Make a piece that mashes up your style with your favorite cartoon or comic’s style.
- Avoid the monotony of drawing the same thing over and over again. Try an unfamiliar subject to switch things up a bit.
- Conduct studies (i.e. portrait, still life, etc.) to practice anatomy, perspective, motion, lighting, and so on. Make drawing a habit with an objective: to improve your skills.
- Read a book and illustrate your favorite scenes. Or read a graphic novel and redraw your favorite panels in your style.
- Give your work a main character with story or message. Now make a series based on that character.
- Gain inspiration from artists you admire. Visit a gallery, scroll through Instagram, flip through an art magazine. Find your artist muse for the day, week, or month.
Now scram and get out of that creative funk!